Skip to main content

Meet New CA Off-Road Regulation Requirements with Renewable Diesel

When was the last time you reviewed the California Air Resources Board (CARB) requirements? If it’s been a little while, you might be surprised to learn of a new regulation that went into effect on January 1, 2024. 

Called the In-Use Off-Road Diesel-Fueled Fleets Regulation, the new rule requires that specific vehicles must use only R99 or R100 renewable diesel. Let’s review the details of the CARB Off-Road Regulation and see how it could impact your fleet. 

Who is impacted by the Off-Road Diesel Regulation? 

Any fleet that owns or operates in California—no matter the size—will potentially be impacted. The new regulation applies to any self-propelled off-road diesel vehicles with an engine of 25 horsepower or greater than: 

  • Can’t be registered and driven safely on the road 
  • Was not designed to be driven on the road, even if it’s been modified for road use 

Additionally, most two-engine vehicles (except on-road two-engine sweepers) are subject to the regulation. So, too, are any rented or leased off-road diesel vehicles that operate in California. 

Because the Off-Road Diesel Regulation is so broad, it impacts a wide variety of vehicles used across industries. A few examples: 

  • Construction: Excavators, bulldozers, backhoe loaders, skid steer loaders, dump trucks, articulated haulers, cranes, forklifts 
  • Air travel: Pushback tractors, airport deicers, belt loaders, forklifts, tow tractors, fuel trucks, maintenance vehicles 
  • Manufacturing: Forklifts, telehandlers, industrial tractors, fuel trucks, excavators, skid steer loaders, cherry pickers, boom lifts 
  • Landscaping: Compact track loaders, skid steer loaders, mini excavators, tractors, mowers, utility vehicles 
  • Ski resorts: Snowcats, snow groomers, off-road plow trucks 

Are there exemptions to the Off-Road Diesel Regulation?

Yes. Vehicles not subject to the regulation include: 

  • Locomotives 
  • Commercial marine vessels 
  • Marine engines 
  • Recreational off-highway vehicles 
  • Combat and tactical support equipment 

Get the full list of exemptions

truck on road

What else does the CARB Off-Road Diesel Regulation include? 

The ultimate goal of the CARB In-Use Off-Road Diesel-Fueled Fleets Regulation is to reduce particulate matter and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions. In addition to the R99 requirement, the regulation: 

  • Sets limits on idling and requires a written idling policy 

  • Requires disclosures when selling diesel-powered off-road vehicles 

  • Mandates reporting of all eligible vehicles to CARB through the DOORS system 

  • Restricts adding vehicles to your fleet that began on 1/1/2014 

  • Requires fleets to reduce their emissions by retiring, replacing or re-powering older engines, or installing exhaust retrofits (VDECS

  • Requires the phase-out of the oldest and dirtiest engines starting on 1/1/2024 

  • Requires contracting entities to obtain valid Certificates of Reported Compliance for all listed contractors and subcontractors in areas where vehicles subject to the regulation will operate 

What do I need to know about switching to R99 renewable diesel? 

To keep your fleet CARB-compliant, it’s wise to consider switching to R99 renewable diesel. Six things to consider:  

  1. Which equipment can I use R99 in? R99 is a drop-in replacement for petroleum diesel and is approved for use without modifications by a wide range of OEMs. Some manufacturers, including CLAAS and DAF, now provide factory fill for certain new vehicles. Always check manufacturer guidelines to be sure. 
  2. Where and how can I source it? R99 is most often available for bulk delivery. It’s also available at select retail or cardlock locations throughout California. 
  3. How much does it cost? R99 can be sourced at a similar value to CARB ULSD.  
  4. What are my alternatives? Unless exempt, R99 will be a requirement against the new regulation. If unable to procure, there are record-keeping requirements to ensure compliance.   

To find out more on the regulation changes, view our full guide here.

Where can I buy CARB-compliant R99 renewable diesel? 

World Kinect Energy Services offers CARB-compliant R99 (sometimes called hydrotreated vegetable oil, or HVO) throughout the state of California. We can deliver renewable diesel in tanks or fuel your fleet directly.  

Find out how R99 from World Kinect can keep your fleet CARB-compliant and reduce your carbon footprint here or reach out to us today.